Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Great Grandma Shafer

My mother was an interesting and diverse woman.

She has always been mom to me, mother just didn’t seem right.

She rode motorcycles in the mountains with us; she went hunting with us shooting a 30-30 rifle, climbing hills, sleeping in the back of the truck or trailer, cooking our meals.

She fished with us.

She tried to keep me on the right track.

She worked at several jobs but the one I remember the most was a kitchen supervisor at a local retirement home. She cooked and ran the kitchen. We would sometimes go and visit her work, or visit the retirees or special days and pass out candy. She would bring home large plastic jars of leftover food for the dogs; we had the best fed dogs on the block. She worked hard!

She was a cook beyond praise. Her meatloaf and homemade macaroni was beyond reproach.

She canned vegetables we would grow in the garden. I remember canning beans, peas, potatoes, tomatoes, corn, pears, making homemade pickles.

After my father passed away, she would go on vacations with us and was always up for a road trip. We went to Disneyland, universal studios; she came to Denver and California when I was in the USAF, and various small trips along the way. She also went on various trips with her other children but they can speak for themselves, just ask them!

We played pinochle most of the time, I can remember my father and mother paying it with family before I could play, and really enjoyed the family time together, it was great to talk and joke around with everyone. Jenny used to sit on Uncle Bobs’ lap and help him with the cards. This tradition has ended though.

She was stubborn, sometimes to a fault, but could be reasoned with also.

We had a tradition of going to her house for Christmas Eve but Smiley has a bad allergy for animals and mom kept a cat in the house. While Smiley always wanted to go and spend most of the time outside or in the car so the kids and I could spend time in house, I could not do that. It broke my heart to see her standing outside in her coat trying to breath. We took the kids and dropped them off, or came only for a little while, but she always suffered the next day. The kids and I always took extra trips when Smiley was not available to go and see mom and had mom come up to our house to visit. Smiley did not like it but what could she do. Smiley was so thankful for all that mom did for her and thinks of her as her mother.

More later, love grandpa

No comments:

Deer Camp 2017

Love grandpa