Monday, August 15, 2011

Fate

Fate: Destiny, an inevitable course of events.


Destiny: refers to a predetermined course of events. It may be conceived as a predetermined future, whether in general or of an individual. It is a concept based on the belief that there is a fixed natural order to the cosmos.

Conceived - to form a conception of – imagine; to cause to begin – originate.

They say now that long life may in your genes and not so much in your diet.

If I get the correct DNA do I get to live a long life and I can pass on the spinach? Or should I hedge my bets and eat the spinach anyway incase I run into Brutus? Will a life time of cigars and whiskey change my fate? Should I care?

If my fate is to do “that”, then should I line up behind “that” and get ready for it?

Or perhaps my belief in “that” and subsequent activity to prepare for “that” makes it happen when it would not have had I lived without knowledge of my fate?

Am I responsible for my future? Part or all of it? Should I let my fate cloud my future?

Can I affect my future with free will? Does fate have a sense of humor?

Certainly no one will argue that I am the master of my life, I can shorten it or raise the odds to lengthen it. If I chose a wrong path I can certainly change my ending. If I chose the right path does this guarantee success of a long ride? Was I fated to become what I am? Was I fated to travel to Korea and marry your Halmeoni (할머니)?

Perhaps fate is the highway we set out on, a many lane highway that gets smaller as we make decisions, taking turns, exits and entrances along the way. There are many exits, entrances and service stops on the highway where repairs and directions can be found. Hit a large pothole and you may suffer damages or reduce your ability to travel the road. The destination is certain but the road traveled will vary by the choices you make. Fate may start you out and set the most likely destination but your choices can and will determine the road traveled.

Stay out of potholes.

Love grandpa

No comments:

who needs a tablet?

love grandpa