Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Teacher and Father

I was getting my morning coffee, a couple of people were in the room and like me they were waiting for the brewing to stop. I got my cup after a captain said it was mud and she hoped I would like it. I told her that I had been drinking camp coffee since I was knee high to a grass hopper and it would be just fine.


This led to a conversation about sayings, she is from Montana and she uses these sayings. We laughed about them, 2 shakes of a lambs tail, etc… I mentioned I knew several but some were not good for mixed company. She said that it was ok - she came from Montana. I looked at her and said no it was not – that she understood what my father would do to me and I left.

My father has been dead for 37 years.

I can only imagine all the lessons I was taught by him in my short 18 years with him. I am sure many are beneath the surface and I do not recognize are his teachings.

I open doors for grandma and treat her with the same respect today as when I met her. I try to with all women. I call strangers Mamm, Mrs, Miss, Sir or Mister and would never consider calling my uncles by their first names; I use titles where they are due. I use the words please, thank you, and excuse me. My word means something to me. [I do not consider myself to be subservient, second class or lessened by this – again it is a form of respect they have earned.]

I can only imagine what he would have taught me had he been able to stick around.

Love grandpa

No comments:

who needs a tablet?

love grandpa